Thursday, January 3, 2013

Rina Rose

In the Sheer Light of a Connecticut Train Station

"'Kathy," I said as we boarded a Greyhound in Pittsburgh,
"Michigan seems like a dream to me now.
It took me four days to hitchhike from Saginaw..."
~America by Simon & Garfunkel~

I see that sleek silver train
crowded with so many passengers
stopping at the Hartford, CT Station
I got off dragging my rolling suitcase behind me
all through town as I did my best to remember
which sidewalks I took so I could find my way back

along the way I asked numerous people
where I could find the hospital
a hospital? said my mind
not a motel or even youth hostel with the last $60 I had?
not a restaurant?
to eat something when I was hungry

even my undrugged subconscious told me
this is illogical thinking, so wake up and clear your eyes
not yet. the delusion wasn’t done with me
none of the residents knew how to get to a hospital. strange
not even the crazy man with messy dreds and dressed in ragged clothes
who mumbled as he walked
he pretended he knew
so I left him behind and walked ahead of him

people kept telling me a big race happening soon that day
it reminded me of the Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach, CA
I’d never been there either nor was I even a race fan
when I last saw the city I’d forgotten the hospital
I watched cars and people moving past me
did they even see me? and who won the race?

in this station of the metro
and a city I only visited in my dreams

4 comments: